Guidance on Face Coverings
Face coverings and masks:
Everyone on our campuses (students, faculty, staff, visitors, and others) is required to wear a face covering or mask in the following indoor and outdoor settings.
- Wear a face covering or mask, unless in a secluded location such as a personal office space with the door closed or a residence hall room.
- Exceptions to this requirement include the following:
- Medical condition
- Speaking with those who are hard of hearing
- Instructors lecturing in situations where wearing a mask would make them inaudible
- In these instances, a face shield must be worn. Employees who are unable to wear a face covering or face shield should be referred to the university’s ADA and Accessibility Services office.
- Wear a face covering or mask when physical distancing of at least six feet cannot be achieved and maintained.
Students, employees, and visitors are encouraged to obtain their own face coverings before returning to campus. Additionally, in high-traffic areas on campus, one-time-use face coverings will be available, as supplies allow.
The university’s Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) office has prepared a guide on face coverings and masks, and a recent campus notice offers additional information.
Additionally, the EHS frequently-asked questions page shares further information on respirators, the process for departments ordering PPE, workplace accommodations and medical exemptions, and more.