In addition to the types of leave available to all faculty employees, tenured faculty members may be eligible to request Study-Research Leave or Research Assignment.
Study-Research Leave: one year, partial salary (not to exceed one-half salary), full employee benefits
Research Assignment: one semester, full salary, full employee benefits
Please consult the Faculty Handbook, Chapter 3, Sections 3.8 and 3.9 for detailed descriptions of these types of leave.
Full-time tenured faculty members with the rank of associate professor or higher who have accrued a minimum of six years of service are eligible for study-research leave or research assignment. Following a period of study-research leave, an additional six years of full-time service are necessary before a faculty member is eligible for another leave.
To apply for study-research leave or research assignment, the following forms should be completed and submitted electronically to the college dean's office to be approved and submitted to the Provost's office via Sharepoint.
- November 1: Request for leave due to department head (see sidebar for forms)
- November 15: Department-approved requests due to dean
- December 15: Dean-approved requests due to provost
- March 24: Provost-approved requests presented to Board of Visitors for approval
- March 25: Faculty member, department head, dean, human resources, notified of board approval
- Prior to leave: Department must file form HR P3A with Human Resources and (if necessary) a revised Promissory Note (HR P88)
- 60 days after return from leave: Faculty member submits report to the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost (see reporting tab on this website)
Changes in Circumstances
Throughout the process, should changes in a faculty member’s circumstances impact the timing or conditions of a leave request, please contact Jack Finney, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs in the Office of the Provost.
Within two months of return to service, faculty members on study-research leave or research assignment are required to submit a brief report describing their activities and accomplishments, with copies to the department head and dean. Reports should be submitted electronically using the link below:
Research Leave Reports
Within two months of return to service, faculty members on study-research leave or research assignment are required to submit a brief report describing their activities and accomplishments, with copies to the department head and dean.