Provost's Update for Week of August 10-14
Preparing for the start of fall classes
A number of new/updated resources have been posted on the Provost’s website this week to provide further support for faculty and departments as they prepare to welcome back students for the fall semester. These resources as well as those on the Preparing for Teaching and Learning website offer guidance for faculty in areas such as classroom set-up, health and safety, teaching continuity, instructional technologies, and academic advising.
- Course Design Resources: Guidance on rigorous instructional design, assignment-based assessment, active learning strategies, and inclusive course design.
- Respondus 4.0: allows instructors to convert their existing tests, quizzes, or exams to a file format that can be imported into Canvas Classic Quizzes.
- Classroom Setup: provides support for departments with departmentally controlled instructional space.
- Zoom Security: important updates to Zoom to include requirements for passwords or waiting rooms.
- Signage for College and Departmental Spaces: catalog of items that can be ordered through Printing Services to communicate space and health/safety guidelines.
- Accessibility and Accommodations for Fall 2020: assists instructors in providing accessible course materials and improving student engagement in various learning environments.
Plan for reinstating undergraduate research for 2020-21
Individual and community health and safety remain the highest priority as Virginia Tech prepares for fall instruction. Among possible face-to-face learning opportunities, undergraduate research has the potential for students to participate in hands-on learning in environments that have always required compliance with state, federal, and institutional safety regulations.
This plan establishes the conditions under which undergraduates could return to conduct research during the fall 2020 semester. Students will initiate and sign a Student and Supervisor UR Agreement form, which will then forward to the research supervisor for signature. The form will populate a 2020-2021 Undergraduate Research Registry maintained by the Office of Undergraduate Research.
Find more information on plan processes and requirements, and links to UR resources. Inquiries should be routed to Keri Swaby, Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research.
Faculty Affairs Open Office Hours: Caregiving
Faculty Affairs will hold a second session focused on caregiving, August 17 (Monday) from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. Participate via Zoom.
Recent Resource & Document Updates
- Syllabus Requirements and Guidelines
Information regarding the new Undergraduate Honor Code, academic integrity, and course syllabi requirements.
- Instructions for Centralized Distribution of PPE
Detailed instructions for ordering PPE supplies from the VT University Centralized Critical Supply Inventory.
- Guidelines for physical and virtual computer labs
TLOS-supported computer labs that will move to virtual access for the fall semester.
- Guidelines for supporting Graduate Teaching Assistants for Fall 2020
Support/recommendations for GTAs in conducting their duties during the fall 2020 semester.
- Message from President Tim Sands
Virginia Tech’s approach to campus health and safety, and instruction for fall 2020 semester
Glossary of terms related to COVID-19 and Virginia Tech documents and communications.