Frequently Asked Questions

In addition to the standard Banner reports you can run through Web Report Submission, the Budget Office generates several budget reports specifically on departmental 208 funds each month. The Fund Level Detail by Department and Budget Adjustments by Department will be helpful not only in determining the amount of 208 funds, but also whether those balances are salary or operating. If you are not receiving these reports, sent by email each month, send a request to Feride Daku requesting access for your department.

Check FGIBAVL in Banner. If your department has insufficient funds across funds in a certain category, for example 208, then you have likely triggered the NSF flag. For example, fund 12345 (208) has a fund balance of 16,274; however fund 12346 (208) has a fund balance of -16,324: The balance between the two funds is a negative $50. Note that this applies to each separate classification of funds, and that some funds cannot “roll up” to the fund category at all.  

First, you will need to determine the type of fund that you need (208, Continuing Education, etc.) You will need to send your request to the appropriate office for that type of fund; for 208 E&G funds, email  

For university funds, you will need to provide the following information: Fund type, Organization number, Fund name, Predecessor code, and Program code. If the fund needs a special Attribute, you will need to send that information also. You can look up funds in Banner under FTMFUND – it can be helpful to look up a similar fund and view how that fund is set up when determining how the new fund should be established.

If you need a Destination Area fund, email for assistance. 

Allocated GA’s are funded at step 5 for Master’s and step 13 for PhD students. When the university grants raises, the steps and funding are automatically adjusted for those amounts.

Yes. Even if an employee is out on leave, their leave report must be submitted electronically on time. Please work with your employees to have them submit their reports via the web or coordinate with the department leave representative to have the report submitted on their behalf by the deadline.  

For student privacy/FERPA guidelines, refer to the Communications Guidelines on the Registrar’s site.

Remember, for anyone, the following should never be sent via email: Social Security number, credit card number, debit card number, bank account number, driver’s license number, passport number. View more information on handling sensitive data.

The Campus & Workplace Violence Prevention and Crisis Management Resource Manual has helpful information, including what signs to look for, and where to refer to in such circumstances.   

Don’t hesitate to seek guidance from the Virginia Tech Police if you feel you need to do so; you can call the non-emergency line at 540-231-6411 to speak with someone.

For students, seek guidance from Cook Counseling Center, 540-961-8400.

For employee matters, Human Resources has various resources available for assistance, 540-231-9331.

All employees who are covered by the university’s health insurance have access to the Employee Assistance Program:

COVA Care and COVA HDHP Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Anthem: 1-855-223-9277 or Anthem EAP Website

COVA HealthAware Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Aetna: 1-888-238-6232 or COVA HealthAware Website

Kaiser Permanente HMO Behavorial Health and Employee Assistance Program (EAP) ValueOptions: 1-866-517-7042